What is a flapjack? How to make flapjacks
Behind the term, Flapjack is a soft muesli bar made from oat flakes, butter, sugar, as well as dried fruits and nuts of your choice, baked on the tray. Flapjacks are, therefore, quite decadent, but they are also wonderfully filling. The bars are trendy in Great Britain. They are widely available in shops and are a popular alternative to shortbread, scones, and sandwiches during tea time.
Interesting: In America, a flapjack is another word for pancake. The word flapjack comes from this meaning because “flap” means something like “to turn the pancake” in an English dialect. In England, there was a shift in meaning.
The flapjack fever also gripped us – here is the simple recipe that can be modified according to your taste:
Make flapjacks yourself – ingredients for 16 bars:
- 250 g butter
- 250 g of brown sugar
- 4 tbsp liquid honey
- One pinch of salt
- 100 g nuts to taste (e.g., hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds)
- 150 g dried fruits to taste (e.g., figs, apricots, cherries, cranberries)
- 350 g of tender oat flakes
Flapjack recipe – this is how it works step by step:
- Preheat the oven to 150 ° C. Lightly grease a small baking sheet or a square baking dish (approx. 20×30) and line it with baking paper.
- Put the butter, sugar, honey, and salt in a saucepan and heat over a low temperature, occasionally stirring, until the butter melts.
- Meanwhile, chop nuts and dried fruits and place them in a bowl with the oatmeal. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Place the flapjack mixture on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes. Let cool down completely, cut into squares or bars and serve.
Significant flapjack variants How to make flapjacks
In addition to constantly new combinations of nuts and kernels and dried fruits, the basis of the flapjacks can also be varied. Replace some butter with peanut butter and reduce the amount of sugar a little: It becomes our absolute favorite variant with other chocolate droplets. Here is a selection of the most popular ingredients.
Nuts and kernels: walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios, macadamia, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconut, linseed
Dried fruits: cranberries, cherries, apricots, plums, dates, figs, raisins, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, mango
Other ingredients: chocolate, cinnamon, cocoa, fresh bananas.
Also read: How to get rid of mice