Water damage is one of the most common and expensive problems that homeowners face. It can happen due to a variety of reasons, such as heavy rains, flooding, plumbing issues, or even poor drainage. Water damage can result in structural damage, mold development, and health risks regardless of the origin. Therefore, it’s crucial to take precautions to safeguard your home and loved ones against water damage. One of the most effective ways to do so is through exterior waterproofing.
Why do external waterproofing?
Exterior waterproofing is a technique used to prevent water from penetrating through the exterior walls of a building’s foundation. The walls must be cleaned, the soil around the foundation must be excavated, and a waterproofing membrane or coating must be applied. External insulation has a number of advantages over other methods of preventing water damage. Here are a few of them:
- Long-lasting protection: External waterproofing creates a physical barrier between the foundation walls and the surrounding soil, which prevents water from seeping through. This barrier can last for decades, ensuring long-term protection for your property.
- Structural damage prevention: Water damage can erode the foundation walls, leading to cracks, settling, and other structural issues. By preventing water from reaching the walls, external waterproofing avoids these problems.
- Health and safety: Water damage can lead to mold growth, which can cause allergies, respiratory problems, and other health issues. External waterproofing helps prevent mold growth by reducing the moisture levels in the foundation walls and basement.
- Energy efficiency: A wet basement can increase the humidity levels in your home, making it harder to maintain a comfortable temperature. External waterproofing can help reduce the humidity levels and thus improve the energy efficiency of your home.
How and what materials are used for external waterproofing?
External waterproofing is a complex process that requires professional expertise and specialized equipment. The following steps are involved in external waterproofing:
- Excavation: The first phase is digging down to a depth of 6 to 8 feet around the foundation walls. This gives the waterproofing workers a workspace and enables them to check the walls for damage.
- After the soil has been removed, the walls are cleaned and made ready for waterproofing. Cracks, holes, and gaps are patched, and the walls are checked for signs of degradation or damage.
- Various types of waterproofing materials can be used, including:
- Bituminous coatings: These are layers of asphalt-based coatings used to provide a waterproof barrier. Because they are reasonably priced, long-lasting, and adaptable to different temperatures, bituminous coatings are widely used.
- Coatings made of polyurethane: These artificial coatings provide walls a smooth, flexible membrane. Bituminous coatings are less costly than polyurethane coatings, however the latter may be sprayed at colder temperatures and provides superior protection against water intrusion.
- Sheet membranes: These are membranes that have already been created and are made of rubber, plastic, or another material. They are attached to the walls using an adhesive, and after that a layer of earth or gravel serves as protection. Sheet membranes offer good protection against water infiltration and are simple to install.
- Backfilling: Once the waterproofing materials are applied, the soil is backfilled around the foundation walls. The backfill is compacted in layers to ensure proper drainage away from the walls.
Why do people trust the work of POM Group?
When it comes to outdoor waterproofing, you want to make sure you are working with a reliable and experienced waterproofing company. This is where the POM Group comes to the rescue, namely:
- Expertise and experience: POM Group has been providing waterproofing services for over 25 years. Their team of experts has the knowledge and experience to handle any type project, from small residential homes to large commercial buildings.
- Quality materials and equipment: POM Group uses only the best materials and equipment for their waterproofing projects. They partner with top manufacturers in the industry to ensure that their clients receive the highest quality products.
- Customized solutions: POM Group understands that each project is unique and requires a customized solution. They work closely with their clients to understand their specific needs and provide a tailored solution that meets their requirements and budget.
- Comprehensive Services: POM Group provides various services such as foundation restoration, internal and external waterproofing. They can manage the entire procedure from start to finish.
- Customer satisfaction: POM Group is committed to providing excellent customer service and ensuring that their clients are satisfied with the work they do. They have a track record of success and many happy customers who have trusted them with their waterproofing needs.
External waterproofing is an essential investment for any property owner who wants to protect their home or business from water damage. It’s a long-term solution that can save you thousands of dollars in repairs and health-related expenses. When choosing a waterproofing company for your exterior waterproofing needs, it’s crucial to do your research and choose a reliable and experienced company like POM Group. With their expertise, quality materials, and customized solutions, you can rest assured that your property is in good hands. So don’t wait until it’s too late, contact POM Group today and take the first step towards protecting your property from water damage.