Cosmetics against Photo-Aging
The serum vitamin C is cosmetic anti-aging for people who love to take care of facial skin, preserve its natural beauty, or fight the slight imperfections of the time.
The antioxidant, lightening and skin protective potential of vitamin C is skillfully exploited to formulate face serums, innovative latest generation cosmetics aimed at postponing the appointment with photo-aging.
Applied to the skin using face serums, vitamin C is beneficial because:
- fights the action of free radicals ;
- reduces or prevents the formation of wrinkles ;
- co happen the loss of skin tone ;
- hides skin blemishes and other imperfections;
- acts in the deeper layers of the skin;
- moisturizes the skin;
- stimulates cell renewal ;
- helps keep skin young for a long time.
On the skin, vitamin C acts as a shield, acting as adequate protection between the skin and the external environment: the face serum is the most suitable tool for carrying the molecule into the deeper layers of the epidermis, protecting it and preserving its natural beauty, which is why many are the products for face and body with vitamin C.
What is a Serum?
Velvety Face Fluid
The serum is an innovative cosmetic dedicated to facial skincare, which looks like a velvety fluid to be applied to the skin in the form of drops.
The serums’ peculiarity is hidden in the formulation: each serum is a concentrate of active substances, reduced in macro-molecules, designed to reach the deeper layers of the epidermis quickly.
In most cases, the serums aqueous formulas consisting of water and highly concentrated water-soluble active ingredients.
The particular composition of the active ingredients favors an ultra-rapid absorption of the product on the skin: in fact, tap the serum on the face to allow the skin to absorb it immediately.
The serums’ formula is designed to act in association with the face cream usually used: in fact, their primary function is to enhance or enrich the cream used regularly.
Applied after daily cleansing of the face and before the cream, the serum completes the beauty treatment and helps keep the skin hydrated for longer.
The face serum completes the beauty routine of every day because:
- improves the absorption of the cream;
- revitalizes and tones the skin of the face;
- moisturizes and protects the skin of the face;
- helps the skin to stay young.
Summary and Key Points
DefinitionThe serum is a cosmetic designed for the well-being of the face’s skin, designed to complete the beauty treatment of every day.
TextureVelvety and fluid, designed for a quick and easy application.
FormulaAqueous, consisting of water and water-soluble active ingredients, highly concentrated and reduced in micro-molecules.
AbsorptionUltra-fast: to facilitate absorption, tap the product on the skin.
Main FunctionEnhance or complete the action of the cream used for the face.
Vitamin C and Citrus
Often, when we think of ” vitamin C, “we imagine citrus fruits: it is no coincidence that lemons, oranges, and grapefruits contain a wealth of vitamin C, a micronutrient popularly appreciated for its extraordinary antioxidant and anti-aging properties.
Vitamin C is known in chemistry under the term ” L-ascorbic acid. “
The origin of the name date back to the past, when scurvy discovers, a disease caused by a lack of vitamin C, which manifests itself in fatigue, bleeding, and bruising.
Affected sailors, realizing that scurvy recognized its origin in a vitamin C deficiency, began to feed on lemons and citrus fruits, thus managing to remedy the disease.
Hence the name ” ascorbic acid ” with which vitamin C is recognized.
Vitamin C is an essential micronutrient for human health. how does PayPal work? Which is a substance that must take from the outside for the body to benefit from it.
Method of Assumption
Vitamin C can take:
- through nutrition: not only citrus fruits but also blueberries, kiwis, parsley, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, strawberries, tomatoes, grapes, and peppers are dietary sources of vitamin C;
- through specific integration ;
- by local (topical) application: vitamin C is used to formulate creams, serums, masks, or gels with antioxidant / anti-aging action.
Role in the Body
Vitamin C an essential vitamin for human health, as it involved in various metabolic functions:
- the synthesis of collagen, as it acts as a cofactor in various enzymatic reactions;
- cellular protection from free radicals;
- wound healing ;
- the regulation of gene expression ;
- the immune reactions ;
- the regeneration of other antioxidants (such as vitamin E).
4.Benefits for the Skin
Why Use Vitamin C Serum?
Considering that vitamin C found in many fruits and vegetables, one might think that the skin can still benefit from eating rich foods.
However, from Research 1, 2, it emerged that vitamin C taken with food or specific oral supplements is still insufficient to bring appreciable benefits to the skin.
The absorption of vitamin C seems to be limit by active transport mechanisms in the intestine. Consequently, the use of creams and serums with vitamin C appears to represent the best way to guarantee the skin an adequate vitamin C supply, keeping it healthy and radiant and protecting it from external aggressions.
5.Functions and Properties
Functions of Vitamin C on the Skin
Due to its properties, vitamin C uses to formulate mainly face serums and other anti-aging cosmetics designed to protect and rejuvenate damaged skin. By the sun, free radicals, and age.
In cosmetics, vitamin C serums perform essential functions for the skin:
- they are effective antioxidants. Therefore they act against photo / chrono-aging, protecting the skin from damage caused by free radicals produced by the sun and pollution;
- have a powerful anti-wrinkle effect ;
- they are effective lighteners, i.e., they act by making dark spots on the skin less visible.
Antioxidant Properties of Vitamin C Serums
The antioxidant properties of vitamin C are exploited to combat photo-aging and chrono-aging:
- by ” photo-aging,” we mean the aging of the skin mainly induced by exposure to the sun’s rays;
- by ” chrono-aging,” we mean the physiological aging we all face, regardless of smog, UV rays, and other environmental factors.
Vitamin C is advertised as one of the best anti-aging substances; for this reason, it represents an excellent remedy designed to keep the skin smooth, luminous, and uniform.
According to other sources, vitamin C consider being the most potent antioxidant on the skin 3.
Vitamin C Serums against Photo-Aging of the skin
Numerous studies 4 confirm the real benefits of vitamin C applied through serums or creams to protect the skin from photo-aging, the damage that – according to what emerges from Clinical and Experimental Dermatology 5 – is mainly related to free radicals.
The so-called ” ROS ” are the reactive oxygen species produced on the skin in case of UVA exposure and UVB rays.
ROS represent actual harm to the skin, as they can generate several dangerous effects:
- alter cell membranes;
- damage DNA ;
- they change and inhibit the synthesis of collagen.
Such products can cause a series of chain events, from the simplest wrinkle to the most severe manifestation of skin cancer 5.
Vitamin C Serums against Chrono-Aging of the skin
The laws of genetics dictate Chrono-aging.
Over time, the skin of each of us undergoes inevitable alterations:
- collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid are produced in smaller quantities, causing a loss of elasticity and hydration of the skin;
- the adipose tissue (which has a supporting function) undergoes a drastic reduction, causing a progressive loss of tone and turgor of the skin.
Anti-Wrinkle Properties of Vitamin C Serums
Vitamin C has also been assigned an important role in fighting wrinkles, so the face serums that contain it can also be used effectively as an anti-wrinkle remedy.
It appears that L-ascorbic acid is an essential molecule for collagen biosynthesis :
- the ascorbate a cofactor for the hydroxylase of the enzymes involved in the transformation of procollagen into collagen;
- this ascorbic acid is also helpful in preserving existing collagen production 6.
- ascorbate can indirectly stimulate collagen synthesis, activating its transcription and stabilizing the mRNA of procollagen 7.
To confirm the anti-wrinkle properties of vitamin C, we report what emerges from study 4, in which it was observed that the application of 10% topical ascorbic acid for three months on 19 subjects between 36 and 72 years with facial skin moderately photo-damaged resulted in an actual improvement on:
- fine wrinkles ;
- roughness to the touch;
- laxity and skin tone ;
- yellowing of the face
Lightening Properties of Vitamin C Serums
Vitamin C against spots on the skin
Vitamin C lightening serums are indicated to treat the skin’s hyperpigmentation, such as sun lentigos or brown spots linked to photo-aging.
Clinical Studies and Evidence
According to a study carried out in the Department of Dermatology ( Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Japan ) 8, it observes that the application of vitamin C (used in the form of magnesium -L-ascorbic- phosphate ) on human skin is practical for favor a precise clearing of melasma and freckles in 19 of the 34 patients analyzed.
6.Vitamin C in Face Serums
Despite its extraordinary potential, vitamin C must include in the serum formulas taking into account some technical characteristics, such as in particular:
- solubility in an aqueous environment;
- poor stability to light and heat;
- low pH and high concentration;
- possible adverse reactions.
Vitamin C is a water-soluble molecule, i.e., soluble in an aqueous environment: most serums contain vitamin C in an aqueous solution, which is clear and straw-colored.
Little Stable Vitamin
Vitamin C contained in serums is generally not very stable. Is AirPods waterproof? Exposed to light, heat, and oxygen, L-ascorbic acid tends to lose its skin functionality.
The loss of effectiveness of ascorbic acid can perceive through the simple observation of the formula, which, from straw-colored, tends to turn to brown: a similar effect can reduce the antioxidant capacity of the serum.
PH and Concentration
To allow vitamin C to express its functionality, it is crucial to respect pH and concentration.
Generally, in sera, ascorbic acid should meet the following parameters:
- acid pH (equal to or less than 3.5%);
- Minimum concentration of 8-10%.
Adverse Reactions Related to the Use of Vitamin C Serums
Usually, ascorbic acid is formulated at a concentration ranging from 8 to 20%, at a low pH (<3.5): on the one hand, these characteristics ensure a potent effect on the final product, but on the other hand, they can cause series of side effects such as localized irritation, redness, and skin sensitization, especially for those suffering from susceptible skin.
A concentration of ascorbic acid of 20% could not only cause irritation or sensitization of the skin. Still, it could even frustrate the vitamin’s functionality, providing no benefit 9 to the skin.
The solution to avoid similar side effects must seek in the replacement of vitamin C in the form of ascorbic acid with other more delicate shapes, such as:
- magnesium ascorbyl phosphate ;
- sodium ascorbyl phosphate ;
- ascorbyl palmitate ;
- ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate .
7.Types of Vitamin C Face Serums
On the market, vitamin C serums are not all the same: in fact, the speed of action links to the form in which vitamin C formula, its concentration, and the possible presence of another component within the product.
Face Serums with Vitamin C as an Exclusive Component
Being a very sensitive molecule to light, heat, and oxygen, the vitamin C present in the serums can degrade until it loses its beneficial activity.
A similar effect can generate when vitamin C formulate together with other substances (e.g., stabilizers, additives, preservatives, pH correctors, or molecules with different solubility).
Therefore, to preserve the integrity of vitamin C, serums containing vitamin C – or other antioxidant vitamins – are available on the market as the only constituent: for example, vitamin C may represent the only active ingredient in special biphasic single-dose vials.
How does it work?
Inside each biphasic single-dose vial, vitamin C reduce to a powder and enclosed inside the cap-tank: like it, vitamin C not active. Therefore, in the bottle below, an activating solution can found.
Before use, the powder must be mixed with the solution below: in this way, the vitamins’ biological activities are preserved until the moment of application on the skin.
Generally, to ensure the skin a complete antioxidant treatment, it is recommended to alternate the application of the bottles of antioxidant vitamins(vitamins A, C, and E) cyclically: in this way, the skin can benefit from the beneficial properties of the individual antioxidant vitamins, day after day.
Face Serums with Vitamin C and other Components
In other face serums, vitamin C can associate with various functional ingredients, some aimed at enhancing the action of the same vitamin C, others aimed at carrying out additional functions.
For example, in a bottle of mixed serum, in addition to vitamin C, substances such as:
- Vitamin A (retinol): effective for strengthening the anti-acne and smoothing effect on the skin;
- Vitamin E: effective for enhancing the antioxidant action of vitamin C;
- hyaluronic acid: used for its moisturizing and elasticizing activities, helpful in ensuring the skin elasticity and hydration, as well as preventing the appearance of small wrinkles;
- collagen: it is an essential connective tissue protein that, added to the formula, gives strength and structure to the skin, favoring skin tone and fighting wrinkles;
- alpha-hydroxy acids: they strengthen the lightening action of vitamin C, exfoliating the skin and smoothing the scars left by acne;
- SPF: are the sun protection factors;
- glycerin: gives the skin a younger look and strengthens the action of vitamin C, reducing the signs of aging;
- essential oils: they are added to the serum formulas in small doses to improve the fragrance or enrich the cosmetic product with different properties.
8.Directions for use
Application of the Face Serum
To apply the vitamin C serum correctly, it advised to respect the following steps:
- eliminate all traces of make-up and impurities from the face using a specific product (e.g., cleansing milk, micellar water, tonic, etc.);
- dry your face with a cotton cloth;
- apply the serum: unscrew the measuring cap and distribute 2-3 drops of serum on the front, tapping the fingers on the skin for a homogeneous application. In case of susceptible skin, wait 10-15 minutes before applying the serum;
- complete the facial treatment using the usual cream (e.g., moisturizer, cream for mature skin, cream for oily skin, etc.).
Did you know that …
It recommends performing a skin patch test for those suffering from susceptible skin before applying it to the face to observe how the skin reacts to the product.
9.Safety and adverse reactions
Vitamin C Safety
Vitamin C has an excellent safety profile 9: in fact, most users of vitamin C serum do not observe any significant side effects.
Furthermore, vitamin C appears to safe and well-tolerate. By the skin even when using in combination with other skin active ingredients. Such as alpha-hydroxy acids, retinoids (vitamin A and derivatives), vitamin E, and SPF.
Any adverse reactions associate with the use of vitamin C serums. It may depend on the concentration of the molecule in the solution or on the type of skin.
Those who suffer from susceptible skin may experience local irritation/redness phenomena 9.
Some allergic or hypersensitivity reactions can cause other substances (e.g., perfumes, essential oils, etc.) present in the formula.
10.Ideal Vitamin C Serum
Safe Shopping Tips
To define as “quality,” a vitamin C serum should meet these characteristics:
- gentle to the skin, therefore avoid causing hypersensitivity reactions/skin redness;
- formulate with ” made in Italy ” active ingredients and components ;
- not test on animals ;
- They develop with natural substances ;
- free from preservatives or artificial additives;
- have an appropriate price, not exaggerate but not excessively cheap;
- This prepare with an adequate concentration of vitamin C: beware of too concentrate formulas, especially for those suffering from sensitive, dehydrate, and dry skin;
- sold in packages of dark glass or another opaque material, capable of preserving the active ingredients from light;
- declare the list of ingredients on the label: vitamin C should appear among the first five ingredients of the composition.
The Pure Vitamin Complexes are enclosing and protect in the Tank Cap. By screwing the cap, the Vitamins integrate with the Carrying / Illuminating Boosters, with pearl and diamond powder.
The mono-concentration in 3 distinct formulas allows the high doses of vitamins used in aesthetic medicine to convey to the skin in the purest and most influential state.
11.Tips for more beautiful skin
Enhance the Action of Vitamin C Serum
Despite the undisputed potential of vitamin C serums, to maintain the skin’s natural beauty for a long time, protecting it from UV rays and premature aging, it is essential to “heal” the skin from the inside by following a healthy lifestyle. And feeding properly.
For this reason, in support of local treatment with vitamin C serums, we recommend:
- drink plenty of water ;
- avoid smoking and alcohol ;
- playing sports regularly;
- avoid excesses and “junk food”;
- eat foods rich in vitamin C ;
- hiring rich in collagen foods (e.g., octopus, glue fish );
- taking hyaluronic acid/collagen/vitamin C supplements by mouth ;
- remove the stress, enrolling in courses of yoga, pilates, or relaxation.
Although it is not possible to stop the biological clock’s inexorable progress, simple strategies can implement aimed at slowing down its progress. Best hairdryer. The constant use of vitamin C serums seems to an excellent solution to postpone the appearance of the imperfections of time, improving the skin’s appearance.
However, please note the importance of following an adequate lifestyle. Ensuring the body adequate hydrated by drinking plenty of water and following a healthy and balanced diet.